Tuesday, February 9, 2016

American Idol The Farewell Season: Contestants to Watch

"THIS...is American Idol!" For 15 seasons, we've gathered around the TV to hear the always energetic Ryan Seacrest say those four magical words. We've seen 15 years of ordinary people like Kelly Clarkson become worldwide superstars. And of course, 15 years of some "interesting" contestants...we all remember William Hung, right?

Sadly, this year is the Farewell Season, and we must say goodbye. I can't say I'm surprised the show is ending. For the past few years, the winners have been forgettable. When discussing with family and friends, we have to Google past contestants to even remember who competed ("that guy with the hair won right??").

However, I think this year will be different. Last week, the judges narrowed the contestants down to the Top 24, and a few are some of the best performers the show has had in years:


Dalton Rapattoni - Hands down, my absolute favorite from the second he walked into his audition. From the flowered boots to the eyeliner, I knew he was something special. Dalton is unlike anything the show has seen - he takes all types of songs (everything from "The Phantom of the Opera" to N*Sync) and makes them his own style of pop/punk. Keith Urban predicted he'll make it all the way to the end, and I completely agree.

Shelbie Z - This girl has one of the strongest voices the show has seen in a long time. In the Showcase round at the Dolby Theater, she crushed "Baracuda" by Heart, and sounded just as powerful as the original artist. Shelbie also has a great story - she used to work as a hairdresser, but decided to take a shot to achieve her dreams.

Trent Harmon - This poor guy went through all of Hollywood week, the hardest part of the whole competition, with mono. He could barely stand up, and had to perform during group round as a solo artist for the safety of other contestants. I was first intrigued by his dedication, but also ended up loving his voice. He'll definitely be one to watch. If he's that talented with mono, imagine what he sounds like healthy.

Thomas Stringfellow - I have to be honest...Thomas caught my attention because of his unique last name. I mean, it's just so fun to say. But when he performed "Story of My Life" by One Direction during the Showcase round, right after his girlfriend of one year broke up with him, I knew he was much more than just an interesting name.

Lee Jean - Lee is one of the few contestants I remember well from the auditions. For being so young with a guitar almost as big as him, I was very impressed by his talent as he sang "I See Fire" by Ed Sheeran. He was a force to be reckoned with all through Hollywood Week, singing another huge hit "Stitches" by Shawn Mendes. If Lee keeps up his energy and chooses youthful songs that showcase his voice, he'll go very far.


Will any of my favorites make it through? Hopefully. But if anyone needs me on Wednesday and Thursday, you can find me frantically voting for Mr. Rapattoni.

No comments:

Post a Comment